Trumpeter 1/48 Wellington

By:-Steve Portelli

            
Summary
 
Aircraft: Vickers Wellington Mk.Ic, T2818
 48 Squadron - RAF, Luqa, Malta, 1941
 
Kit: Trumpeter
 
Additional Sets: Eduard 49 045 seat belts
 Eduard FE-369 cockpit
 Eduard 48 569 exterior
 Eduard 48 570 mid fuselage
 Quickboost - Lancaster gun barrels
 
Decals: Kit decals and Aftermarket codes
 
Paint Scheme: Dark Earth - Upper surfaces
Standard Bomber scheme Dark Green - Upper surfaces
 Night black - Under surfaces
 

Paints lightened for scale to represent ultra-violet fading due to Mediterranean operations

Modifications / Special features

:Scratch built / added aluminium wing spar for structural strength.
:Added detail to bomb bay.
:Added detail to bomb bay.
:Scratch built wing tip lights.
:Added map to navigators table.
:Added walk way to rear fuselage.
:Aerial added.
:Incorporated Eduard sets where appropriate.

Build Comments Well what can I say, the Trumpeter 1/48 Wellington kit is not without faults but it builds into an impressively large model. As part of my Battle of Malta collection it helps even the odds and balance out the SM-79 and Ju-88 already constructed.

Annoyingly the moulding had some annoying seam lines that needed slight clean up. (Not enough to really worry about unless you're entering into a comp). To perfectly honest the wing join is (pardon the pun) the major weak point in the kit, and after reading some magazine reviews concerning this I decided to add a spar, made from approximately 2mm x 4 mm aluminium that I had available. It runs from nacelle to nacelle, thought the fuselage. The attachment point as designed by Trumpeter, while offering a great fit is structurally reliant on the glue joint alone. Given the span of this model at over 50cm, a metal spar gives you added piece of mind in that the stresses are carried through, instead of placed on the fuselage joint.

I worried about the visibility of the spar and to this end hid it under the scale spar structure provided in the Eduard interior set. While this structure is very prominent on the full size Welly, you don't see anything once the model is constructed (I should have saved my time and money and not bothered with the Eduard sets). Although the Eduard mask set is well worth the money!

What else, is worth a mention?

The fuselage joint isn't great, but over all its workable.
I knocked back slightly the geodetic effect on the wings with a selection of sanding sticks.
Broke and lost the PE aerial twice!
Knocked off the bomb bays more times than you would have thought possible and almost decided to close it up!

By the way the bomb bay doors comprise 30 pieces alone. I got to tell you I was longing for a nice simple Monogram kit with a quarter of the parts count half way through!

The clear parts are nice and clear and fit well.
The rubber tyres came up OK with a rub with sandpaper

For a large model it's surprisingly hard to pick up without breaking it's off, fragile guns at each end, bomb bay doors underneath along this an aerial on top. In the end the easiest way is to hold by the wing tips. You quickly find out how small your work bench is when you start to knock stuff over with the wing tip that finishes half a meter away! The Quickboost resin machine guns are well worth getting (I got mine from Craig at Aeroworks, along with the Eduard sets) just install them last of all! Night black is always fun to paint, I just need to get more practise at it.

Over all I like the end result which is what matters the most, it fills a hole in my collection and was a build that I didn't get bored with.

Till the next build.

Stephen Portelli

wellington
wellington
wellington
wellington
wellington
wellington

wellington
wellington
wellington
wellington
wellington
wellington
wellington
wellington