Planet Models 1/72 Blohm & Voss P.193.01

By: Stuart Beatson

The P.193.01 was designed to fill the ground attack/dive bomber role. It was to be powered by a Jumo 213A engine mounted directly behind the pilot driving the pusher propeller via a long driveshaft. The projected armament was two wing mounted MK103/30 mm cannon and two MG151/20 mm cannon in the nose. 1000 kg of bombs could be carried on the fuselage.
Span: 11.4 m Length: 10.3 m Speed: 570 km/h

This kit was one of those nightmare builds!! I have since built other kits from Planet and have found them to be excellent so I figured that I must have gotten a bad apple. However this was the first ever planet kit that I built, so I was worried about the cupboard full of Planet kits that I had yet to build.

All parts were removed from the resin blocks and cleaned up then the real fun began. The cockpit assembly was fairly straight forward but when I went to attach the assembled cockpit to the main fuselage there was a 2mm step that had to be fixed. A 2mm step on a 1/72 scale kit is pretty major. The remedy involved carving away both sides of the join and filling the void with layers of superglue. During this carving/scraping process a blade broke off and went into the tip of my finger up to the finger nail. After a week in bandages I returned to modelling but this kit sat for a few months before I had another crack at it (calmed down).

 

When I did resume, the layers of super glue were sanded and then Tamiya putty was used to blend the two fuselage parts together. With all the work that had to be done to rectify the bad fitting the finely engraved panel lines were obliterated so they had to be re-scribed.

With the fuselage completed the rest of the kit was assembled. The wings joints required a little filling, and the kit supplied cannons also needed work to look acceptable. The rest of the assembly however was pretty straight forward.

The kit was painted in a speculative winter camouflage using Testors Acryl and the kit decals were used and found to be quite good. There was no way to put weight in to prevent tail sitting so the completed model had to be glued to a base. Well it was touch and go for awhile, but perseverance pays off and I am very happy with the end result.